Saturday, January 28, 2012

Oh yeah, it's still January

The past 3 weeks have been a whirlwind to say the least, here's a little update:
  • Moved to Miami with 3 checked bags, 2 carry-ons and a hopeful disposition to find my place in this weird Latin American city
  • Mom came after 4 days, spent 4 days helping me get my bearings, find an apartment and a car.
  • Found a car. 2009 "salsa red" VW Jetta. Still don't have it in my possession, financing and car insurance holding everything up (who sends papers through the MAIL anymore??). Really need to get a Florida driver's license, but need a Florida resident for that first.
  • Day Mom left I flew to London. Spent 1 hour in customs, 2 hours at my former boss's flat, 3 hours in a meeting, then flew to Helsinki.
  • Screwed up from the time difference (Helsinki is +7 hours!!), my first opportunity for a real night's sleep in Europe, couldn't go to bed until 3 a.m. Wake up to cleaning lady knocking on door of my hotel room at 12 p.m. Work all afternoon from the hotel, check out Helsinki center in the evening. Shop at H&M, eat a delicious burger with olive tapenade, goats cheese, and a Finnish beer.
  • Meeting the next day (what day? Friday?) with our most important client. Did surprisingly well. During the afternoon, walked around Helsinki with our CEO and his wife. Saw the water, boats, market full of cheeses and meats, snow (obvs), pretty lights, pretty Finns. Was pure euphoria.
  • Friday night flew to London for weekend with my babez (friends from Mexico 2007 study abroad). K picked me up at Heathrow, took the tube to our friends' place in Camden Town, gossiped the whole way there. Surprised friends with elaborate story, wished I had filmed it to put on youtube and get millions of views, was that good.
  • Fabulous friend-filled weekend in London. Got drunk. Saw the Olympic Stadium.
  • Came back to Miami on Monday, got to the office in the afternoon, had a breakdown. Saw an apartment on Monday night, found the place.
  • Breakdown continued on Tuesday morning, emotions, tears at work, no good. Bosses helped me sort everything out, felt like a child, but we're OK now.
  • Finished 500 page book, discussed it over phone with friend for Book Club.
  • Sent in financing papers to buy car, hope to pick up salsa Jetta next week.
  • Approved for the apartment that I found in the midst of my breakdown, move in February 17.
  • Got invited to a Superbowl party, hope to drive my salsa red Jetta there.
  • Giovanni's 30th birthday spent in Bogota, alone. Me sad :( Giovanni's visa appointment in ONE week. Me happy :)
  • Started new Book Club with friend in London.
  • Spending weekend with Couchsurfing people who I had never met. They're nice, took me to Mexican food, showed me pictures of their worldly adventures, let me stay in their bedroom for the weekend. We're gonna go out and ride bikes later.
Boy January's a long month.

No comments: