Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The view from up here

Have I mentioned my company switched offices (for the 2nd time in 6 months)? We're now in a big building downtown, in the financial center of Miami. The busiest time of this area is weekdays from 9-6, at nights and on weekends it's like a desert where you can find tourists wheeling big (empty?) suitcases and realizing why no one ever talks about "downtown" Miami as the place to see - stick with South Beach guys.

But in the few weeks we've been here, I've explored some cool new restaurants that cater to the 9-5 crowd, with my new go-to sushi and smoothie places. And I've also made use of Miami's lovely public transportation system, taking the metro mover every day to and from work. The first few days I felt so cosmopolitan, with my smoothie in one hand and holding onto the train with the other, earbuds carrying the morning's news to my perky brain. Well, that soon changed. No time to make a smoothie. No room to hold onto to the train while juggling laptop, lunchbag, and purse whilst avoiding touching the other sticky passengers. Earbuds become tangled, and I just end up tuning out whatever it's playing anyways, what with the people playing their own loud hip hop on the train for us all to enjoy, or the out of towners asking me where to get off for the Bayside mall ("uh, the 'Bayside' stop).

So now, once I'm comfortably, cooly resting in my office, I just enjoy the view.


1 comment:

Elyssa Pachico said...

What a great view! Silly tourists -- get off at the Bayside stop!!