Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Europe in the Springtime Part 1

So I never really gave a proper update of my time in Europe. By the time it was over I had more great things to write about! And before I'm off to San Francisco for two weeks for my cousin's wedding I figured I would describe my travels across the pond, mainly so I can come back to this blog in one year's time when I've forgotten everything.

So let's see, I made a little list here of observations along my way (I had a lot of time to think, more than I've had all year!). First things first, the whole purpose of my 2-week vacation was to go to a wedding in England. An English friend who I had met in Mexico took it upon herself to use organize her wedding nicely so we could have a 5 year reunion for our 14-person Girl City group (one night when we were all hanging out someone walked into the room and saw 9 girls + 5 guys, all of whom except 1 were gay, and exclaimed "It's like girl city in here!" and the name just stuck). Instead of flying to England for the weekend and then back to Miami, I decided to take advantage of Europe's compact countries and my having friends in various cities in those countries.

So the journey started in Zurich, Switzerland where a college friend who I met while studying abroad in Argentina (I guess I can't really meet internationally-minded people in the US can I?) was living. I hadn't seen Cait in 2+ years and so it was really nice to reconnect with her. She's from Connecticut too and had just moved to Zurich a month before so she was happy to explore the place with me. Observations included:
  • There are a lot of bicycles, I mean a LOT of bicycles in Europe
  • The bike parking lots are even covered, whereas the car parking lots aren't necessarily
  • Swiss people mind each other's business, which when taken to the extreme can mean they don't seem as friendly. Example: at an outdoor pasta place when Cait and I asked for tap water the waitress looked at as confused, and then after our mediocre hand gestures brought back 2 half-filled glasses of water and brusquely placed them on the table, water spilling all over my menu.
  • The Swiss don't offer tap water in restaurants
  • Zurich's expensive! ($20+ for any meal, not even at a fancy place)
  • Geographically-speaking I found it similar to Colombia, hills, lakes and valleys.
  • No chocolate tours (and the Lindt factory is located in Zurich)!
  • There are lots of Audis and European cars, I rarely saw a Ford
  • The guidebook says you get organization and order but unfriendly people. I would trade any day.
 I was only in Zurich for 4 days, 2 of which I spent jetlagged and hungover, but I still felt I had seen most of Zurich, though not much of Switzerland. But then it was on to Munich! I took the train through the Swiss countryside, and am pretty sure I passed through Liechtenstein on the way, but alas the rolling European hills all look the same after a few minutes.

In Munich I stayed with a couchsurfer. Since I was only going to be there for 2 nights I figured why pay for a hostel when I can soak up some of that couchsurfing love. I met Stef at her office after I got off the train. She handed me the key to her place along with directions, and I was on my way. When I've told people that story some find it very bizarre that a stranger would give me the keys to her house with no one home, while others just quip "Oh isn't couchsurfing amazing?!" Her place was clean and well located, so I was happy. The first day I just walked around, had some Turkish donner and somewhat followed the NYT's "36 hours in Munich" guide. The next day I went on a free walking tour to see the historic stuff and then met up with the Hungarian boyfriend of a friend, who had been living in Munich for 4 years. The friend was more like someone who I work with at another company, but is from Munich and gave me great tips. And here we have Munich observations:
  • People are friendly, but still mind their own business
  • You should never flag down a waiter - it's rude!
  • They serve pretzels at the table like we do bread, but then charge you a euro per pretzel if you eat them
  • You never cross the street until the pedestrian sign is green - no J walking!!
  • You can surf on a river in Munich (and use a handy attachable surfboard carrier on your bike)
  • I cannot wait for the Olympics! (I visited the site of the 1972 Munich Olympics, still very much intact, and hosting the Special Olympics)
Ok, Part 2 of the saga, which includes Berlin, Prague, and Shropshire, England, to come soon!

 Bicycle parking lot in Zurich
Apfelspritzer drink with Cait
Yep, they're surfing in Munich, on a real (not artificial) river!
Site of the Munich Olympics

No comments: