Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Being in Latin America too long does funny things to the brain

I really don't speak Spanish all that much. Only two of the five people I live with speak Spanish, and I keep in touch with just a handful of Colombian friends. So why is it that my English has worsened while my Spanish has maintained a standard definitely-not-a-native-speaker-but-able-to-communicate-herself level? I've tried to "keep up" my English by going out with English-speaking friends, writing this blog, keeping in touch with friends and family from back home, etc. But apparently it's not enough. Either my English-speaking friends here (of whom only 1 is an actual native speaker, the rest being Dutch, German, and Colombian) have been here as long as I have, or I need to skype more.

A recent conversation I had with my friend Jessica back at home via gchat (Gmail's version of aim or a messenger application) subtly illustrates this:

me: is tha ta holiday in the US when you're going?
Sent Wednesday at 15:55
Jessica: ur english has gotten bad love

Whether it be bad grammar or just too many cases of
malapropism (dictionary.com's word of the day meaning the "usually unintentionally humorous misuse of a word." And yes, I did have to click the speaker icon to have them pronounce the word for me about five times), it's inexcusable to claim that I'm stimulating my brain by reading the NY Times' coverage of the U.S. Open and witty fashion blogs after receiving a $120,000 college education. That's why I'm going to get a job. Maybe as an English teacher here in Colombia?

No comments: